In or Out?
There was excitement in the air at Tonic last night near Times Square, and it wasn’t just the summer-like weather or the free drinks and snacks, courtesy of the NYRR, though both the unseasonably high temps and the Road Runner-provided refreshments hinted at the real reason a group of enthusiastic runners were gathered there after work – to celebrate the ING New York City Marathon lottery.
I grabbed my free beer and tried to unite with some of the lucky few at Tonic, but I found that the crowd mirrored the low odds – estimated by some to be less than 1 in 8 – of getting into the Marathon through the lottery. For example, Levi, who works at nearby Morgan Stanley with buddies Brock and Neil, was the only one of the three to make it in this year – and that’s only because he had completed the nine qualifying races and one volunteer assignment required for guaranteed entry. Though he was initially motivated to go the “9+1” route after being unsuccessful with the lottery three years in a row, he agreed that all of that racing leaves him better prepared for his marathon debut.
Ryan, whom I met near the bar, was very excited when he checked his Blackberry during a meeting yesterday afternoon and learned that he had made it in – this will be his second NYC Marathon. Inspired to run the first after working as a medical tent volunteer the year before, he described running New York in 2009 as one of the “best experiences” he’d ever had. And though he’s planning on running the Chicago Marathon this fall too, he is adamant about wanting to do New York again less than a month later – “I’ll walk it if I have to.”
The enthusiasm was contagious. I talked almost as much as these runners did as I shared my own NYC Marathon experiences, as a runner, a spectator, a volunteer, a former resident of First Avenue, and of course, as a Flyer – I made sure everyone I encountered knew all about the Flyers and our training runs leading up to the big day. The big day that is now just under seven months away.
So are you in or are you out? If you’re not sure yet, check here. But it doesn’t really matter, because it’s true – we’re all in. Whether pace-leading with the Flyers at a training run, or lining up at Ft. Wadsworth, or handing out Power Gels at Mile 18, or high-fiving a friend or stranger along the way, or turning on the tv in time to watch the always-riveting finish, or just seeing the signs on the bus and the banners along the race route, we’re all a part of this, what the NYRR calls “The Largest Sporting Event in the World.”
I won’t be running this year, but you can count ME in. - Uli. H.
In a new move, part of an initiative to build early enthusiasm for the November 7 race, Road Runners CEO Mary Wittenberg and WNBC sports anchor Bruce Beck announced nine of the lottery’s winners in a ceremony broadcast live yesterday at noon on the NYRR website. Then to celebrate, the NYRR sponsored after-work Lottery Parties in bars in every borough, open to lottery-winners and friends and marathon fans alike – part of their “I’m In, We’re In” campaign to remind New Yorkers of the unifying qualities of the NYC Marathon.
Ryan, whom I met near the bar, was very excited when he checked his Blackberry during a meeting yesterday afternoon and learned that he had made it in – this will be his second NYC Marathon. Inspired to run the first after working as a medical tent volunteer the year before, he described running New York in 2009 as one of the “best experiences” he’d ever had. And though he’s planning on running the Chicago Marathon this fall too, he is adamant about wanting to do New York again less than a month later – “I’ll walk it if I have to.”
Eric, from Washington Heights, was also excited about having gotten in through the lottery, though as virgin marathoner, he was nervous as well. He started running only recently, having lost more than 20 pounds in the last year, and though he’s never run any races, he wanted to do something to challenge his newly achieved fitness. Eric entered the lottery for the marathon only after he didn’t get into the NYC half-marathon. “I guess it’s a bigger challenge now,” he admitted.
So are you in or are you out? If you’re not sure yet, check here. But it doesn’t really matter, because it’s true – we’re all in. Whether pace-leading with the Flyers at a training run, or lining up at Ft. Wadsworth, or handing out Power Gels at Mile 18, or high-fiving a friend or stranger along the way, or turning on the tv in time to watch the always-riveting finish, or just seeing the signs on the bus and the banners along the race route, we’re all a part of this, what the NYRR calls “The Largest Sporting Event in the World.”
I won’t be running this year, but you can count ME in. - Uli. H.


0 comments:
Post a Comment