Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rachel G: New Flyer

Rachel G
Hey! My name is Rachel.  I live in what I like to call the grey area of Manhattan, not exactly Midtown East and not Gramercy, however a stone throw from some great Korean and Indian food. During the winter months, I try to escape the cold and venture to candy land aka Miami Beach. For me, the cold is good for one thing only  running. Yes, I am one of those crazy runners you see running the streets of New York in 30 degree temps, dressed like its summer out while passersby think I'm clinically insane.

Similar to recent new Flyer, Catie B (click HERE to read about Catie), I also was a dancer and had zero interest in running for most of life. I still consider myself a dancer, but for now that means just being in the moment with music.  I find myself dancing at very inopportune times while listening to my iPod, waiting for the light to change during my runs, and at the end of a 20 miler when I hear Payphone by Maroon 5 playing.

Beginning of an Obsession

I have always been a health and fitness enthusiast. This began at an early age. You know what they say; you do exactly as your parents or the complete opposite. Their sedentary lifestyle coupled with bad eating habits, led them to be overweight and riddled with health issues.
I knew this was not at all what I wanted for myself. So I think this made me obsessed with my physicality and health. There are definitely worse things to be obsessed with, right?

Game Changer

Prior to 2008, I never ran a step.  In fact, I would see runners and think they looked miserable. Why on earth would I want to voluntarily inflict pain on myself. That same year the economy crumbled and I was at a personal and financial crossroad.  I needed to deflect from all of the uncertainty in my life and figure out where to channel feelings of anger,
frustration and hopelessness.  

Fortunately for me, I stumbled upon TFK online and the idea of running to help others was born for me. Mind you at this point I hated running and did not know many people who ran. Most of my friends would ask "how far is that marathon?" Lol. 

I think I was drawn to having to plan my weeks and weekends and the progression you can clearly see week by week. While most everything else in my life was uncertain my running plan was a constant. 


NYC Marathon 2008
I accredit running for changing my life. Some might say that is extreme, but the way it makes me feel and the energy it allows me to put forth to the universe is incomparable.


Philly Marathon
2012
Running has allowed me to see that anything is possible. From running my first marathon hoping to break 4:00 hours and actually ran 3:50:56, to my 6th marathon hoping to run sub 3:05 and ran 3:10:27. I have learned one should strive for progress, not perfection. Most long distance runners would agree that running is mostly mental. This has allowed me to extrapolate this concept further and say that all of life is mental and with the right attitude and the guidance of a few great people along the way, each of us can achieve greatness.



Chasing Times and the Flyers

This summer I set out to train and break 3:05 at the NYC Marathon. I wanted to do some or all of my long runs with runners that had a similar goal. I did just that and felt I was on my way to achieving my goals. It was early summer and running felt like a chore; it had lost its meaning for me. I needed something to recharge me.

By accident, I found the Flyers and their need for pacers for the NYC Marathon Long Training Run in July. I thought to myself maybe if I could help someone perhaps run farther and faster than ever before, that might recharge my love of running.


Rachel G and Catie B
8:30 Pace Group Leaders
Not only did this recharge me, but it was a game changer for me. I found more joy in helping the 8:30 pace group get to the finish line than achieving my own running goals. During this pace run, I met some of the strongest and interesting women. 

They thanked me numerous times, not realizing how much I should be the one thanking them for helping me realize it is not about chasing times, but the journey along the way.


8:30 Pace Group Runners:
Smiling Faces At the Finish


Although finding the NY Flyers was what most would say was an accident, I believe this was divine intervention. I look forward to spreading my love of running, positive energy, and desire for helping others achieve greatness, with the help of other Flyers.

-Rachel G

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP