Sunday, March 7, 2010

Points and Pints...



Coogan's Salsa, Blues, and Shamrocks Run 5K was a great time all around this Sunday. A record field of over 5,600 runners made their way up to Washington Heights on this beautiful, warm, sunny day, and it seemed like a record number were at Coogan's restaurant for the after-party as well!

I am perfectly aware of how difficult this race is, and yet I'm still always surprised at just how brutal the course is. Hilly just doesn't describe it -- it is very well likel the most difficult race course in Manhattan. This is the little 5K that could, and does, to you agan and again.

But the party at Coogan's makes it worth it, coming equipped with a free Irish music, free Irish breakfast, and free Irish beer. A good time for all Guinness and shepherd's pie lovers.

The race is a points race, and Flyers were out in force to defend their points. Of course, so were all the other teams, too, but we're optimistic that our team will do us proud in the standings. Thanks to everyone that came out to represent the club. You can check out our top finishers in the scroll box on the home page. Full results are here.

Personally, this was my first foray back into racing after many months off, and I'm questioning whether I could have chosen a more difficult on to start with. I was spent at the mile 2 marker, and still had that one last hill on Ft. Washington to finish me off. Still, it was great to be back racing with my fellow teammates. Back at the restaurant, Sarah D. and myself parked ourselves on some seats (prime real estate in the crowded establishment) and many other Flyers came and went -- among them: Steve K., Brett S., Kathy K., and Kevin M.
Good times, and good Guinness, all around!  -Eric S.

4 comments:

ed March 8, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

Sounds like a great time was had by all. Sorry I had to miss it. I love this race, and even more I love the after party. I was out for a run with a friend in Vermont around 10AM and all I could think of was that if I were home, at that time, I would drinking Guiness. Can't beat Guiness for breakfast!

frugal zeitgeist March 8, 2010 at 6:03 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
dana,  March 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

Welcome back! Sounds like an auspicious return to racing.

The New York Flyers March 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

Good times, both at the race, and after! You guys were both missed! -Eric S.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP