Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Just Can't Find a Thing to Wear!

(a.k.a. Do My Running Shoes Make Me Look Fat?


So here's a question: what should or shouldn't us runners wear on our feet?


I certainly don't know, but I'll write a bit from my experience and would love to learn what others may have to share about this topic.

When I first started running several years ago, it hurt!  In retrospect, I realize that this was normal and that I could have just patiently let my body adapt.

But as perhaps a particularly naive and impressionable new runner, I tried just about everything that was suggested to me.  I followed the advice of runner friends, heeded the words of running book authors, altered my running form, delved into the wonderful world of podiatry and orthotics, and experimented with different types of running shoes.

Early on, a friend of mine who'd been running for many years told me how he'd experienced some rather serious injuries including a few stress fractures, but had been running injury-free since wearing orthotics provided by a certain highly regarded podiatrist.  So, I figured, I'd be a fool (even more than usual) not to pay this podiatrist a visit.

How excited he was, this Dr. Foot (name changed to protect the guilty) that here I was, Diligent Dave, seeking his help to protect my feet and body from the pounding of my new hobby. After only about a 10-minute exam he fit me for orthotics, and not only for my running shoes but also for my walking shoes, both of which he assured me were essential for my physical well-being.  So who was I to question this confident and caring physician? 

Well, I should have.  They cost a fortune.  Plus, every several months the running orthotics would wear down and have to be re-surfaced.  And when they were being resurfaced I couldn't run for several days because I risked injury if I were to suddenly run without them after having followed detailed protocol for getting accustomed to them.  On top of all that, when the orthotics were returned to me after resurfacing, several times I ended up with blisters due to the texture of the new surface.  Oy vey!

Eventually, it hit me that the orthotics not only were an annoyance, but that maybe they weren't necessary.  Maybe either I was supposed to ease into running more gradually, or it was supposed to hurt a bit until I adapted to running.

So I went to a running store that provides video gait analysis, and was sold a pair of running shoes that I was told would address my very mild pronation.  I then weaned myself off of the orthotics, and ultimately trashed them.  It's been about a year now since I dumped the orthotics, and I've been running comfortably and happily without them ever since.

But being Curious Dave, and impressionable, I also experimented with wearing running shoes that provided very little support and padding.  One recommendation espoused (don't you just love a good espousing?) by ChiRunning guru Danny Dreyer is to wear minimalist running shoes, including to enable one's feet to provide the body with important feedback.  Check out this brand new article about the minimalist shoe movement that quotes Danny Dreyer. 

Well, heeding the minimalist perspective, I went out and bought a pair of New Balance 709s.  They were extremely light and comfortable, and seemed to help me to land on my mid-foot, which is how I seek to run per ChiRunning principles. I ran on my minimalist running shoes once for just 3 miles on a boardwalk in Cape May.  But I didn't feel right toward the end of the run, with discomfort including along my IT bands that continued for several days.  I wore them again two weeks later for 5 miles, and the discomfort was worse than the first time.  I haven't worn them since.  Maybe I didn't ease into them properly, or maybe they just weren't the right shoe for me.

Yet I continue to remain intrigued about what to wear, or not wear, on my feet.  Recently, I read some Flyers posts about barefoot running and interest in Scott Jurek's Born to Run and I find it fascinating that barefoot running appears to be catching on.

I've also recently come across MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology) shoes, such as Shugulis. The "B" in MBT is for barefoot, yet the soles of these shoes are massively thick and when I took them for a test-walk in a shoe store I learned that they're designed such that I should essentially rock 'n roll over them, and it felt almost like walking on wheels, or something like that.  I found them to be very comfortable, but also expensive.  I was told that they're supposed to strengthen the calf muscles, among the benefits.  Perhaps.  Or will I end up with over-stressed and strained calves that lead to running injury?

So, maybe I've evolved some from Impressionable Dave who'd try everything that anyone suggested to me, to now Slightly Cynical Dave.  But I do continue to wonder, including:
  1. Does anyone else have buyer beware experiences with orthotics?  Do others want to sing their praises?
  2. Is anyone having success with minimalist shoes and barefoot running?  Any disaster stories?
  3. Do lighter running shoes make you run faster?  More important, will they make me run faster??!
  4. What are the pros and cons of padding on running shoes?
  5. What's the deal with MBT shoes?  Are they just another fad, and do they require Dramamine to get used to the rocking motion?  Or should I be wearing them, even to bed (yes, my wife is very tolerant :)?
  6. And, seriously, do my running shoes make me look fat? 
-Dave K.

7 comments:

ed March 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

Find running shoes that fit and are comfortable and stick with them - at least until the maker changes the model.

Sounds like you did that after the orthotics and the gait analysis.

I'm not an expert but I think the lighter shoes will help you run a bit faster, but they're supposed to be for shorter RACES.

ed A

Unknown March 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

I too have been there and done that with the orthotics and thick running shoes. I run with what one would call a minimalist shoe, puma H street (now discontinued but I have many pairs). You have to start the switch over from thick shoes very gradually. I think it was too fast to go 3 miles one time and then 5 miles the next time and that this caused some of your woes. I would start with way way less (1 mile or less) and slowly bring it up over a much longer period of time. It might be a good idea to start with an interim minimalist shoe (thinner than the thick ones out there but not as thin as the h street). I run exclusively with minimalist shoes now in all distances and have for several years. They are cheap ($45), light (less then 5 oz) and last me for much longer than the thick shoes.

Unknown March 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

Thanks, Ed and Sarah.

Yeah, Ed, I'm with you on comfort. If it was socially acceptable, I'd run in my daughter's Uggs :)

And glad to know, Sarah, that I'm not the only orthotics sucker, though at least we wised up (wisened? fine, got smarter).

I like your interim minimalist shoe idea, proof being that I tried that this past summer. Wore a pair of Asics trainers that were almost identical to the heavier Asics I've been wear post-orthotics. The primary difference is that they weigh a bit less, with less padding in the forefoot.

After my forefoot felt kind of sore, presumably from the reduced padding, I promptly returned the new trainers.

I figure in the scheme of things, will shedding a few ounces off of my running shoes make me run any faster? I doubt it. And, if so, at what cost to my body? Or, then again, at what benefit, as the minimalist shoe advocates might counter?

What say thee (thou?), Sarah? Are you faster in your minimalist shoes? More comfy?? Or is the benefit solely (sorry) lower cost and longer lasting (which of course are pretty good benefits, and I am looking for shoes with benefits -- oh, and that's not the same as friends with benefits, right?)???

Anyone else have any thoughts on this "what to wear" topic?

-Dave K (P.S. for those who have asked, nope the photo of the feet on this blog post is not a pic of my feet -- actually, said feet belong to a female friend of Eric S. -- mine are far more handsome :)

lara,  March 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

for what it's worth-in the first year i was running seriously, i trained in lightweight shoes (Mizuno Wave Precisions)...at the time I loved them, but as it turned out, training exclusively in lightweight shoes was not good to me and just beat up my legs (in addition, they were not the right shoes for me, but that's a whole other story!) right now, I use regular trainers (currently Brooks Defyance) for everyday training, and lightweight/performance shoes (Asics DS-Trainers) for speedwork and races up to a half-marathon. (I did try wearing the DS-Trainers during MCM...and you know how that turned out!)

As for orthotics-I've been wearing them since 2005 after a bad case of plantar fasciitis...I personally feel they saved my running life, as they provided arch support that I desperately needed, that most shoes weren't able to give me, that helped keep that particular injury away since.

Unknown March 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM  

I think minimalist shoes can make one a little faster because they are lighter but I don't think shoes alone can make one significantly faster. I got into the shoes a long time ago (2003?) because I was (and continue to be) under the influence of Ed F., who was getting into the pose method of running (posetech.com), which advocates this approach. We even went to Miami and did a clinic with Nicholas Romanov. I slowly transitioned over to the shoes over 6 or 7 months. For me, once I got there was no going back and I do all distances and all training in them. I believe that they cause me to run more efficiently. Another side note is that I get lots of people that strike up conversations with me about my shoes, which can be entertaining. I get a lot of "how can you run in those shoes, don't they hurt your feet???"...

Unknown March 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Thanks, Sarah and Lara. Sarah, it sounds like you're saying that the minimalist shoes work for you because they fit well with your running form, and haven't given you discomfort.

That was what I was after with mine, as those New Balance shoes I tried twice are designed for mid-foot running, which is pretty much how I run and aspire to run.

So, maybe it's worth my taking another shot at those mid-sole strikers with a more gradual phase-in approach like what you suggested (or another similar mid-foot focused shoe, and perhaps one that's a tad less minimalist)?

Then again, there's Lara who got hurt while running in the exact same lighter shoe that I tried last summer per above, and which I quickly abandoned because it didn't feel sufficiently cushioned.

But would I have gotten hurt if stuck with 'em, and did they contribute to Lara's injury? Ah, the mysteries of running :)

Great, Sarah the Great, that you don't mind and get Greatly Entertained when asked about your skimpy shoes while you're running.

Last weekend I was running with Heather M. and we spotted a guy running barefoot. Heather asked "doesn't that hurt?" and we got back a snippy little tirade about how he could hear us coming a quarter-mile back and that we'll end up with injured knees. I guess he was "entertained" once too often :)?

Today I ran by a woman in the rain in CP who was soooo silent gracefully gliding in her running shoes while I clomped and squished through the puddles in mine. I wondered what she was wearing. Then again, I breezed past her too fast to ask, so maybe her silent shoes slowed her down (or so I'll rationalize.....)

Hey, so has anyone tried out or know anything about those MBT shoes I wrote about in the original post/any thoughts on them?

-Dave K.

lara,  March 14, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Dave-I think the Wave Precisions did contribute to my injury just because-lightweight or not lightweight-they weren't the right shoe for me. They didn't give me enough arch support which led to my plantar fasciitis. Maybe if I had worn orthotics with them they could have worked-but at this point I'll never know...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP